Tax Tips for Filing Season

It’s that time of year again, and AAA is here to help.

We’re here to help take the stress out of tax season. Read on for answers to commonly asked questions that can help you streamline the preparation and filing of your tax return.

How long do I have to file taxes? The due date for 2024 tax returns.

The 2024 filing deadline for individual filers and self-employed filers is April 15. 

Should I use tax software?

When filing on your own (instead of using an accountant), tax software can be an effective way to manage your information and maximize your return. 

AAA Members can enjoy a 25% discount on their state and federal filings when they use TaxAct®, a trusted software program. Members can download the TaxAct® software or use the online or mobile version.

Should I hire a tax professional?

There are certain situations where it may be beneficial to hire a tax professional. For example, if you run a business, you may need guidance. Or if you’ve recently received an inheritance, it can be difficult to know what to file on your taxes. A professional can help you make sure you’ve filed properly.

According to the National Association of Accounts, the average cost to hire a tax professional in 2023 was $176.

Do I have everything I need?

Before you begin the filing process, make sure you have the following items: 

  • W-2 and 1099 forms for the current year
  • State tax refunds (from the previous year)
  • Social security number
  • Bank account number 
  • Routing number

Documentation of expenses for things such as moving, child care, student loan interest paid, charitable donations and more

Any other relevant receipts

(For a comprehensive printable checklist, click here.)

Do I count utilities on my tax forms?

According to TaxAct®, you may be eligible to count a portion of your utilities as a tax deduction. Also, if you’re self-employed, the space you use for work can often count as a deductible expense. 

If you work as a landlord and cover gas, water and electricity for your renters, you can file those expenses on your taxes. Also, if you’ve made renewable energy updates to your home, you may enjoy a tax break this year. 

What should I do with my tax refund?

There are so many ways to enjoy your tax refund. You could travel with family, work on your fixer-upper or even put the refund in the bank let it earn more money. 

Keep reading in: